What Is Endodontic Retreatment?
Endodontic retreatment is essentially repeat root canal therapy. When a tooth becomes reinfected or fails to heal properly after having root canal therapy, it may need to be treated again. As an experienced endodontist, we specialize in endodontic retreatment with the goal of saving the tooth and preventing the need for further treatment.
Why is Endodontic Retreatment Needed?
The following are possible reasons for endodontic retreatment:
- Some areas of the root canal were not treated during the first root canal therapy.
- The tooth was not restored with a crown soon enough following root canal therapy.
- There was a gap or space around the crown that allowed bacteria to access the root canal.
- The tooth decayed further since root canal therapy was applied, resulting in a new infection.
- The filling or crown became loose over time, allowing bacteria to enter the root canal.
Benefits of Endodontic Retreatment
Endodontic retreatment has significant benefits:
- More thorough. We perform endodontic retreatment with the help of an endodontic microscope that allows us to locate, clean, and fill every space within the tooth, leaving no opportunity for reinfection.
- Save the tooth. Endodontic retreatment can save your tooth in many cases, allowing it to remain fully functional in your mouth.
- Relieve pain. If you have recurring or persistent pain even after having root canal therapy, endodontic retreatment can provide you with relief.
Are You a Good Candidate for Endodontic Retreatment?
If you have a tooth that has received root canal therapy but still causes you discomfort or severe pain, you may be a good candidate for endodontic retreatment. Although it may seem discouraging to have the same tooth retreated, it’s worth it if it can save the tooth. Replacing a tooth with a prosthetic may be possible, but it costs more and is more invasive than having your natural tooth restored. Before you give up on a tooth, let us perform an evaluation to determine if endodontic retreatment might be a better option.